Wednesday, February 11, 2009

my religion

For the first time in my life, last Friday, I attended a fellowship group. I didn't actually attend it. I was sort of dragged there by a friend on the way to the bar. As much of a coincidence as that was, it ended up being an Asian American Christian Fellowship. I don't know about you, but where else would one want to spend a Friday evening? Don't get me wrong, I went to Lutheran Sunday School for ten years, frequently attended church, and hell, I'll say it, I even got involved with the youth group for awhile. But never had I ever non willingly came to a place where people gathered on their own accord to worship God. What was advertised to be "no more than 30 minutes" ended up taking about 2 hours. It wouldn't have been such a problem if the specials at Penn State bars started later, but unfortunately they begin at 10.

Anyways, yesterday in French class, we had a review before our three part exam the rest of the week. As a part of the review, we would pair up and go to the chalkboard in pairs. Since my usual partner was not there that day, I got paired with the girl that usually sits next to him. I don't know about you, but when you become friends with a couple of people in the class, I tend to not pay attention to who else is in the class. Unforunately, this character flaw reared its ugly head as I looked up to find I was partnered with the girl who was the lead singer at the Fellowship. We locked eyes at the same time and realized where we had seen each other before. The subsequent seconds went something like this:

Christian Singer Girl: Oh my God! You were totally at the Fellowship on Friday!
(Fuck)
Me: Yeah, you caught me, I was there. (Fake smile)
CSG: Well, what did you think of it?
Me: The music was great, I liked it a lot.
CSG: Awesome, so will we be seeing you again?
Me: Oh, unfortunately I'm going to Maryland this weekend.
CSG: That's totally okay, I'll just remind you again next week!

So now, I'm sure I'll be constantly reminded about the Fellowship until I finally capitulate one week and go back there. I don't mind people having strong faith in something, because let's face it, life can be really fucked up sometimes and it doesn't hurt to have something to lean on. I just hate the fact that someone who doesn't know anything about me is pushing me to give in so easily to something without fully evaluating my options. After much research, thought, and observation in my life I have come to one conclusion: in some way, shape, or form, something with a sum greater than its parts created everything around us. In short, I see no way that something came from nothing. Golden numbers such as pi, e, and theta don't keep showing up for no reason. The elliptical shape of our galaxy, our graphs of certain numbers, and our fingerprints is, in my view, undoubtedly linked by some sort of design. The point is this: if you come to the conclusion that God certaintly exists through nature or deep rooted faith, I credit you with having made an intelligent choice. However, I don't think it's any of your business to go around spreading that message like a crazed lunatic. May each man or woman come to whatever conclusion they want on their own.

Until next time,

mh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home