Sunday, April 15, 2007

last call

"What's my destiny mama?"
-Tom Hanks, Forrest Gump

13 years ago, Tom Hanks immortalized those words in what I consider to be his best film of all time. If you don't recall, he is sitting alongside his mother when he tells her that she is dying and will most likely not be there for much longer. At first, this leaves Forrest incredibly sad, but after he gets over the initial shock, he poses the age old question at the top of your screen. She, as any wise woman replies with "I can't tell you that. You're gonna have to find out for yourself." Gump gets to wondering as there is a long silence afterwards.

It got me to wondering too, how our destiny is exactly determined. I would have to say that we can determine our own destinies to a certain point, but there's sort of a randomness factor that truly guides to what level of preciseness those dreams are carried out. This is when I realize how dangerous it is to lock ourselves into one destiny because things change so rapidly. Me, I've always seen myself making it huge in poker and the business world, two areas that I hope to excel in. But then again, who the hell am I to say that I will be in the right spot at the right time to catch the big break to propel myself to the place i want to be at.

The title and the crux of the post were actually going to be talking about how we are coming down the final stretch in the school year, but as usual, I got sidetracked. As I thought it would happen, I feel myself coming on strong in calc and stats. In accounting, we have a huge test on monday that is worth 25% of my grade and I have yet to pick up the book to study it. Wish me luck with that as I go to study now.

mh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home