Monday, December 04, 2006

frank sinatra

"You gotta love livin' baby, cause dyin' is a pain in the ass."
-Frank Sinatra

I would like to dedicate a post to Frank Sinatra, because to me, he embodies what I strive to be in my life. Sinatra was an easy going man who was committed to providing the best for his children and the rest of his family. He is considered by most musical historians to be one of the four biggest influences in music in the 20th century. All this being said, his style could be summed up with a few words- Carpe Diem. He was quoted many times as saying that he just took what each day gave him and that he wasn't "searching for no secret of life." In my opinion, that's the way to live. Don't overcommit yourself to anything, don't get involved in any entangling engagements, and just live each day to the fullest. If you do that, nobody can say that your stay on earth was a wasted one.

I've begun to write poetry again on a more consistent basis with the opening of a site called Humble Voice. You can find HV on the web at www.humblevoice.com and if you sign up as a member, you can view my poetry under the name "britishroyals". So far, I've posted mostly old work of mine, but the opening has prompted me to continue trying to produce new material.

I'm dumbfounded that this semester is going by as quickly as it has gone. I feel that this has been my most consistent semester as I've done all of my homework(for the most part) and am making time each week to study history, poetry, and math. When I had economics I would basically study that every wednesday before the class, but now with that done I have even more time. I've been using my spare time to either write or play poker, and I can myself improving in each of those disciplines. Last year, it seemed like it took forever for myself to get good at playing poker, but all those struggles have made me into such a better player today.

I'd continue writing, but I need to get to bed so I can get up early enough to finish a speech, and I think I have a borderline migraine so goodnight.

Oh yeah, here's a poem to read. It's surprisingly good if you think about how boring life can be sometimes. Enjoy

Disillusionment at Ten o Clock
By: Wallace Stevens

The houses are haunted
By white night-gowns.
None are green,
Or purple with green rings,
Or green with yellow rings,
Or yellow with blue rings.
None of them are strange,
With socks of lace
And beaded ceintures.
People are not going
To dream of baboons and periwinkles.
Only, here and there, an old sailor,
Drunk and asleep in his boots,
Catches tigers
In red weather.



mh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home