Sunday, October 21, 2007

new directions

For the first time in a really long time, I'm having trouble trying to find a good opening sentence for a post. I guess I'm finally actually excited about writing and I just wanted to start spilling my thoughts onto paper(kinda), but I needed to find a lame beginning to the whole post, so there it is.

First, I would like to address the fact that I haven't been posting with much frequency in the last year. However, starting now, I want to try to spend an hour each day doing nothing but writing. It's something that I used to do when I was a decent writer and I want nothing more than to get back to where I used to be. Besides my last post, the few people that actually read this thing have found my posts to be much less than loqacious. I realized that if I'm ever going to write anything more than the typical laundry list of things that everyone does, I'm actually going to have to be personal about things. I guess for a very long time I haven't wanted to be personal because it made me appear to be more normal. It took a long time for me to actually summon up the courage to write what I have actually been feeling(i.e last post), but a lot of good literature examines the absolute absurdities of the authors that wrote them. Also, I have come to realize that everyone has these little imperfections that most people don't get to see; yet some of the fun in writing is delving into these things. Almost everyone who has read my work who is a more talented writer than me has said that I need to be more personal. The ironic part of that is I used to rip on the people that were the cookie cutter writers. We've all seen them. He or she is the person who can whip out a five paragraph, thesis at the end of the first paragraph and beginning of the last pararaph with no problem whatsoever. And I became that guy. It wasn't from a lack of creativity, but rather from laziness and a certain detachment that I purported in my work. Unfortunately, laziness and detachment from one's work are signs of very obstinate, wish I were dead kind of work that nobody wants to read.

So I've decided that I'm going to try to change for the better. Not only with my writing, but every area of my life. If I can spend each day getting just a little better at everything that's important to me that time will quickly add up. On that note, I've layed out a rough sketch of things that I want to write about during the week:

Happenings in my life- 2 per week
Economic Issues- 2 per week
Entertainment- 1 per week
Sports - 1 per week
Literature-1 per week

It's all tentative, and I'm hoping that I can somehow find a way to rearrange the letters and words enough to post seven days a week. Writing is something that I've been passionate about for a long time; yet I've never taken the time to try to become anything better than an average writer. I'm hoping that writing here daily will help me become better than average.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home