Wednesday, June 21, 2006

the world cup factor

Today I set out for my usual game of soccer, but noticed that the field at colewood was being occupied by kids I had never seen before. Then, we went up to whitehall and noticed more of the same. It's like an epidemic. Lately, I've noticed that a ton of people are getting soccer games together, and that is definitely a good thing for the sport. As great as most American sports are, most of them promote laziness(in comparison to other world sports) For example, just how much running is actually involved in baseball or football? The latter you could make an argument for, but each side is given three timeouts and time after each play to regroup. You could make the argument that football is more physical than soccer, but many soccer games can be quite nasty. Soccer is the one sport(other than maybe hockey) that requires superb physical fitness from all players. In summary, it's good for a country that is like 55% overweight(although I don't believe that one bit).

This week has been more of the same as the last month. The center of my life is soccer, and I'm loving every minute of it. It's fun because the buildup of the perfect goal is, in my opinion, much better than the constant action of a hockey game. England looked very good in the first half of their game against Sweden, but those Swedes managed a to tie the match in the closing stages with a brilliant goal after the English defense collapsed like their army during ww1.

All in all, I don't have much to report. I started writing again, but as usual, I got sidetracked about 30 minutes in. I hope that I can get back to it tomorrow because the soccer matches don't look that interesting. However, when Thursday comes around, you will see me glued to the TV for two hours in the morning. Let's go USA....and Italy of course.

mh

1 Comments:

At 3:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Soccer is the one sport(other than maybe hockey) that requires superb physical fitness from all players."

What about lacrosse? Try running as much as football ("soccer") but wearing 10 extra lbs of equipment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home