Sunday, September 25, 2005

dose of reality

yeah, that's what i got today

yesterday- woke up, ate, and had a meeting with an ACE guy at PSU-Mckeesport at 12. Talk about a waste of time, I basically told him that'd I'd just get all A's and that was that. It took 15 minutes and I wasted my time on that shit? Anyways, I went to two classes and finished reading Zen and the Art of Poker which happens to be a very good read if you're looking for a book. It really deals with how Zen can be used in poker in regards to staying calm, relaxing, keeping with the flow of the game and maintaining rhythm. Later that night, I went to duquense for a party/dance thing. Came home and slept.

today- ouch, that alarm clock at 730 hurts. I got up and went to work from 9-5 and appartently I'm being discriminated against from using the paint fillers again because I spilled a little bit of paint in the middle there. Haha. After work, I came home and watched WPT for awhile and then went up bradburns to play a little NHL2K6...it's weird because I used to love to play video games and now the only time that I have time for them is when I'm at someone else's house. Oh well. I think over Winter Break I'm going to try to do some gaming. Additionally, my dose of reality came tonight while talking to immekus about poker in the fire halls. He said that most of the players were better than I was used to and it kinda hit me hard because I realized the more I read Skylansky books, the more I become like Skylansky. Skylansky was a hell of a poker writer and a great poker theorist, but when's the last time he won a WSOP tournament, made a big score in a side game, or won a tournament in general? I've realized again that the basis of all good poker players is their experience combined with the thoughts of others that they have applied to game situations. Oh well, I'll get my chance in a week to play for real as I will be old enough to gamble then. Later on, I went bowling and I basically sucked. That's all for now.

Funny thing happened as I was tearing apart my room last week. I found a book on American Poetry that I bought in sixth grade and never read. Now I'm reading it again and loving it, so the selection is from there tonight. enjoy.

Nocturne
By: Robert Hillyer

If the deep wood is haunted, it is I
Who am the ghost, not the tall trees
Nor the white moonlight slanting down like rain,
Filling the hollows with bright pools of silver.

A long train whister serpentines around the hill
Now shrill, not far away.
Tell me, from what dark smoky terminal
What train sets out for yesterday?

Or, since our spirits take off and resume
Their flesh as travellers their cloaks, O tell me where,
In what age and what country you will come,
That I may meet you there.


the line that is bolded is a great line and so true as well...everyone loves their childhood much more than their teenage years because of the simplicity of life and the constant enjoyment of the day....ahhh what i'd do to be six years old again

mh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home