Friday, November 11, 2005

100th

I had a great title for this blog, but I thought that it was only fair to pay proper respects to my 100th post. That means a whole year of blogging, sometimes daily, sometimes weekly, and sometimes monthly. Because of blogging, my writing has improved tenfold. I look back at my older blogs where I was using internet slang in a futile attempt to be cool and draw fans to my sight. Clearly, that was the wrong path to take. It's funny, there's no way a year ago that I saw myself where I am today. How about five years ago? I was just some lowly eighth grader who hung out with chad evanek and those guys. My, have times changed or have they not? It seems like yesterday though. Being in homebase in eighth grade, remembering how cool I felt walking through those middle school halls as the top dog. More or less innocent to how things work beyond the walls of harrison middle school. And what about a year from now? I guess I'll never know exactly where I'll be, but hopefully I won't have dropped out of college, although there's a slight chance it could happen. And five years from now, I might be moving out and thinking about having kids of my own. Wow, that's incredible. It seemed like just yesterday luke hawthore and I were teaming up to beat up ryan patterson. Or playing football in the freezing cold with josh diven and other people from whitehall. And building snowball forts outside of nick binger's house on macassar so we could throw snowballs at his sister Amanda and her friend Heather Jakel's house. Just yesterday. That's all it was.

wednesday- I went in early and mark and I went to sheetz to grab a breakfast sandwich and a donut. It was good, and we went to campus to find books for a report that's due monday(no I didn't start reading the book). I really do love the tension of a good last second report, it makes things so much more interesting. I had class until 5, and suprisingly it wasn't bad at all. If only I didn't have to type the next part, because it truly pains me to type the words. However, there was a good moral to this story that I'm reminded of every time this happens. Nick and I went to skyview late because I overslept it. He got in the tourny and ended up finishing third for a net profit of 240. Nice game nick. I sat down at 3/6 after calling my gf(like the milwaukee's best light commercial) and clawed and scratched for three hours to end up a 78 dollar winner. I really didn't make any bad plays and capitalized on the oppurtunities given to me. All in all, I was really happy with the way I played. The plan after that was to sit down with 200 at the 2.50/5 NL because I wanted experience. God, these keys feel like metal weights, as I'm leading you down the path of my demise. I began the night at NL going up 20 bucks with a raise with kings and a fold post flop. I went down to 100 after just getting blinded off and calling stupidly and having to fold post flop. However, I double up with bottom two pair on a 456 flop where this one guy called 115 with A7. Two blanks fell, and I was up to about 250. Then, a guy that I like to call the donator pushed allin when the flop came down K87 and I called with AK. He had A5 and about 200 bucks left. Two blanks fell and when the table broke, I had about 500 sitting in front of me. We all moved to the 5/5 NL table where the action was hot and heavy. I think I made the best play of my life with K9 when the flop came down AK9 two diamonds. One guy bet 50, I raised to 150, he reraised allin and I quickly called. He had A10 and I had him dominated at the end of the hand. Hell yes, I was thinking. I blinded myself down to 750 until "the hand" came up. I was dealt KJ and a guy in front of me raised to 20. Charles(who is looser than the girls seen on Maury) came in and I called 15 because I was in the BB. Flop came down AKQ, which gave me second pair and a gutshot draw. Guy who raised bet 20, charles called, and I called. Here I put the early position guy on a AJ. Turn comes a 2, and early position guy bets 50, charles calls, and I call. Now I'm almost positive that he has an even weaker hand, maybe an A9, because he is not giving the correct odds to chase just a straight. River comes "the perfect card", a K, which gives me trip kings. Early position guy pushes allin. I guess I forgot to mention that this guy was the donator. Charles thinks for awhile and folds, and it ends up being about 200 more to me. I calculate the pot odds and figure I'm getting about 2.5:1 and I'm almost .2:1 that he has AQ, AJ, A10, or A9. I seriously moved those chips in so fast because I didn't want to know the outcome. The donator turned over aces and I was crushed, as he had made a full house while I had made trip kings. After the hand, Charles said he folded K9, which meant that there was a total of ONE CARD that could have got me in a ton of trouble. If a J falls and makes me two pair, I fold instantly because of the straight. If a ten comes, I have the nuts and scoop a pot that takes me to about 1.3k. Also, any other card falls and I fold because I figured my man for the ace. That really sucks. Instead, I cashed out showing a 70 dollar profit for the total night for seven hours of playing. But wow, I could have had 500 at worst and a maximum of 1.3k if my 10 hits. What a tough loss. The night reminded me that although that card sucked, it wasn't the end of the world. Money is a funny thing. It's just a gateway to some things that are good, seeing as that everything bought with money will stop working eventually. The only things that survive after money has died are the things that are free. Things like love, democracy, and nature are things ten times more important to me than a stupid pot that I lost. If I look back on this night ten years from now....wait, I won't remember this night. I'll remember the first time I fell in love though(no, I won't expound upon it here). Or the first time that I saw that flag raised at Iwa Jima and how till this day it gives me the chills to see those men press on against the Japanese and raise that flag of freedom. Or the first time I felt that cool, autumn breeze, and I watched those leaves turn. I remember, and I have to remember, because it brings a smile to my face every time the dark, malicious material world brings me to gloom. I'm sorry if this post has sounded like a scene out of American Beauty or something like that, but I am who I am.

mh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home