Monday, July 10, 2006

tournament recap and the rest of the weekend

Friday was basically a do nothing day. I left for north versailles about 6, and got there at 630 only to find that the event was moved to skyview. Here's a quick rundown of how the night went:

7:00 PM- I'm playing in a 30 dollar satellite. In the second hand, I find aces, and it has been raised and reraised in front of me. I move allin and am called by pkt 10's. Flop is 10 6 2 to bury me.
7:04 PM- I'm in another satellite and on hand 3 I lose most of my chips when I flop a flush on a A 3 6 board only to watch my opponent with 45s hit a 7s to drown me(I had K2s so he was drawing to the one out)
7:15 PM- I took a long walk and am ready for the tournament that starts at 830.
830- Starting table doesn't look too tough.
845- I'm down to 16k after I missed a double gutted and a flush draw.
910- I'm under 5k after this pot: I have A10 and the flop is 10 6 4. I bet, a guy raises 3k more, and I move allin. He has about 5.5k less than me and we turn up and he shows 10 7. Turn is a 7, and the river doesn't help me.
930- I've chipped back up to about 10k when the table is broken. Thank god.
940- This table is tough. Joe, john the banker, and scholz are all here and all have decent sized chip stacks.
945- I pulled off a huge bluff against joe. On a J 6 4 board I get him to lay down J 10 after I move allin. I had an underpair to the board.
10- I have pkt 3's and the flop is 6 5 3. I bet, a guy raises, and I go allin. He calls and shows K6. Turn and river are blanks and I'm at about 35k.
1030- We're being moved again. I have about 60k in chips.
1035- New table looks kinda tough, kinda soft. Lee and scholz look like the tough players.
1040- And I'm out. Blinds were 1/2 and I had about 55k in front of me. A guy from first position raised to 12k. I looked down and found kings and moved allin. A guy two spots to my left immediatly says allin, and the original raiser folds. He has aces of course, and I'm crushed.

After that, I went over bens and went up a little bit playing side games. On Saturday, work was boring. I went out with bradburn and his family to max and ermas for his birthday after work. It was an enjoyable time. Afterwards, leigh, carly, bradburn, and I drove out to washington, PA, then stopped at EnP. Something bad happened there, and we won't elaborate any further than that. I wish there would have been something that I could have done, but it clearly wouldn't have mattered nor would it have been my place to intervene. So for once, I kept my mouth shut. Today, work was kinda exciting. Naturally, it was not in a good way. We were cutting glass, and when I went to put it back, it shattered into a thousand pieces. I have about five cuts on my hands that were bleeding pretty profusely for awhile there. After work, I went down to leland to play soccer and help cook burgers for the baldwin tournament. My brother's team was playing at 8, and I'm glad that I stayed for it. They were playing Munhall/West Homestead, and they were talking a big game the whole time. My brother's team was leading 10-6 going into the bottom of the seventh. To that time, it had been a spirited game. It reminded me how good a good baseball game is. People pay hundreds, sometimes thousands for games such as the world series and the all star game and they usually see players playing half heartedly(well at least in the latter). If there were five games that I could pick to go back and play in/watch again, none of them would be professional games. Anyways, the other team started smashing the ball in the bottom half of the inning and ended up tying it up. With two outs, the kid for their team that had been shouting and saying things during the game came up to the plate. On the first pitch, he drove it off the right field fence to win the game. A few things suprised me about this game: First, I was shocked that the other team's coach or the umpire wasn't telling his players to stop making blatantly negative remarks about our team. This wasn't like them shouting "you're a slouch". It went more like "F*ck you and your mother, I f*cked her last night anyways." Second, I didn't think I could get excited about baseball anymore. Well, I've been watching the pirates too long because this was definitely worth seeing again. I went to skyview at about 11 pm and got into the 3/6 game. I ended up going down about 1/3 a buyin there before I switched to the 1/2 game.
"Matt, jou have been running bad lately?"
I was jolted out of trance and looked up at doc.
"Yeah doc, a little bit."
"It's part of zee game. It happens to us zall."
Some people just know. Doc is one of those people. He could just see it in my eyes, or maybe the way I was furiously counting and recounting my chips. I didn't see a hand for about 2 hours, and finally I glanced down to see aces. I got 5 callers and the flop was 5 6 9. It's not the worst flop ever, but it's not great with that multitude of players. I bet half the pot and got two callers. Turn was a Q, and I bet a little more. The first gentleman folded, and the other guy said allin after thinking for awhile. I went into the tank and resigned myself to watching him flip over two pair. He showed 7h8h for a made straight.
"Zee, you really are running bad," doc said.
I managed a weak smile as I showed him aces and calmly walked to the door. I just can't get out of this slump. For about 3 months, I've been running terrible at the tables. I haven't booked a really great session in a long, long time. I've never gone through a funk like this. I either take a horrid beat or run into a really bad situation. When I was winning, I felt like I was in control. I was twelve years old again and I was giving the other players the old high heat on a pitcher's count. Now, I'm getting hit around like crazy. There's nothing that I can do to stop them from running me down one way or another. It's really frustrating to know that extenuating circumstances prevent you from achieving success. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

Good night,
mh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home